Summer is the time for swimming, sunsets and getting together with family! I do a lot of extended family portrait sessions during the summer months. This one in particular was amazing! I have never been to Oval Beach in Saugatuck- it is GORGEOUS! Truly #puremichigan lake shore!
Beach sessions can be a little nerve-racking as far as lighting goes. I prefer to shoot at golden hour before sunset, but you never know if there will be any shady areas or if you will be in the middle of a beach without any sort of texture or shade. Oval Beach was a like a photographer’s dream beach location! There are trees growing right near the water! It made for the perfect location to get a little bit of relief from the direct sun (even at 7pm the sun was pretty high). The dune grasses were perfect texture for individual family portraits and the water made for some gorgeous bokeh and blur!
Here are some of my favorite things from this session:
- obviously this girl-mom is obsessed with the sister photos! I also have 2 sisters and I hope these girls treasure the portraits with the three of them as well as with their mom!
- The colors they wore are amazing! Nothing too matchy, but I love the navy blue and the pops of kelly green and pink!
- After the “traditional” group portraits I was thrilled that everyone wandered on down to the water. THIS is where the unposed, candid, joyful photos happen!
- I’m especially drawn to the “cousin chaos”. LOL. I love the auntie photos where she just scooped up a babe to play, or took a niece by the hand. These are the types of sessions that make my heart happy!
- Drippy toes and drenched dresses and shirtless toddler boys hugging their mama… yep. Give me all the family goodness!
Please enjoy some of my favorites from this big family’s group portrait session!
If you are looking for some adventurous and fun family portraits, I might just be your girl! I have so many people tell me that they love candid photos. If you love a mix of candid photos and traditional portraits, lets plan out a session at a location that will lend itself to unhurried, beautiful family portraits.